The days have been far behind when we used to split logs with an axe. Now, this is the time of power tools. Power tools have made our life much easier, but in one condition, if and only if you are using the tools carefully in the right way. If you do not follow the safety tips for using the log splitter, you are going to end up messing everything and that might lead to serious accidents. On the other hand, if you follow the safety tips for using log splitter, you are going to get the best experience for sure from your log splitter.
— Safety Tips for Using Log Splitter —
Make Yourself Ready
- Read the user manual carefully. If the log splitter requires assembling, make sure that you read and follow the directions of the user manual. Also, follow the instruction while using the log splitter. The overall idea is to get familiar with the machine. Make sure that you know the controls of the machine properly, how to start, how to stop, is there any emergency stop and other controls. Do not let someone operate the log splitter who does not know the machine properly.
- Keep your children away. Always keep your children and pets always at a safe distance to avoid any kind of accident. Children below 16 years must not be allowed to use the log splitter. Children over 16 must be trained and supervised properly.
- Keep the helpers at safe distance. Make sure that a single person is using the splitter while splitting logs. Even if there is someone to help to handle the logs, make sure that he is in the safe distance before you start the machine. Keep bystanders, children, and pets away from the machine.
- Wear safety equipment and dresses. Safety glasses and safety boots are must for the users to keep safe from flying pieces of woods. Never wear jewelry or loose clothing that might get caught in the machine. If you have long hair make sure that is tied properly.
Make Space, Machine & Woods Ready
- Make sure the log splitter is stable. Never use the machine on any slippery or muddy ground. Set the machine on a level and dry surface. Keep enough room around to work. Block the log splitter to prevent moving. Position the machine at a comfortable height and lock in that position.
- Check the fittings of the machine. Before you start make sure that the machine is set properly. Check the loose fittings, screws, nuts, bolts, hydraulic fittings, clamps, and latches if they are properly tightened.
- Do not make any adjustment when the machine is turned on. If the machine is in poor condition and requires any servicing, make sure that is done before you start using. If you need to do any adjustment, do not do that while the machine is running. First turn off the machine and then adjust whatever you need.
- Cut logs to the square end. Before started splitting logs make sure they have square ends to prevent the ram from being damaged. If logs have uneven ends, words may fly from the machine, the logs may slide to the wrong position. If in case the logs are not cut even, try to re-trim them as much as possible to avoid any accident. Make sure there is no nails or knots in the log.
How to Operate
- Operate in bright daylight. Make sure that the area is properly lit. It is recommended to always split logs in enough daylight. Night time is not the right time. Also in daylight, if the area is not properly lit, do not use your log splitter there.
- Place the logs carefully. Make sure that you do not hold the end of the log while placing is on the machine. Keep your hand in the middle of the log or at the side of the log, never at the ends. Use only your hand to stabilize the logs, never use your foot.
- Keep hand clear. Never keep your hands in the space between the ram and the log. Keep your hands and finger away from any cracks in the log that opens during splitting since that can close quickly and cause injury.
- Split nothing but woods. A log splitter should be used only for splitting woods. Never use a log splitter for any other purpose. If you try to split anything but woods, that may cause serious damage to the machine and injury. Never split more than one log at a time and let the ram be extended properly before you place the second log.
- Stand at a safe distance. A proper distance from the machine should be maintained to avoid any kind of accident. Use both hands to operate the machine.
- Play close attention to the machine. This is pretty important to pay proper attention the log splitter while operating. Never leave the machine unattended while the power is turned on. Place the wood when the log pusher in completely stopped.
- For vertical log splitter. Make sure that the log is properly placed before moving the control to split the log. If the log has uneven ends, use small chips to stabilize. To avoid injury, always stand behind the machine before the control.
Special consideration for Hydraulic Log Splitter
- Check hydraulic oil levels. Check if the hydraulic oil tank and the reservoir are in correct level according to the specification.
- Check fluid leaks before starting. Hydraulic oil leakage can be dangerous for the user. Check properly if there is no leakage. Make sure that the log splitter is at safe distance from anything that can be damaged by any accidental leakage.
- Check air release valve. Some models of hydraulic log splitter require the machine to open the valve before use. Read the manual and find if yours has such requirement.
- Clean and store carefully. Properly clean your hydraulic log splitter each time you use it. Store the machine inside, cover it properly.
Properly handling your machine will give you great user experience. Otherwise, using a power tool can be really dangerous. There is a saying; anything is user-friendly if the user is friendly. A machine has no life and no sense of friendliness. This will react exactly how you want it to. I am sure if you follow these safety tips of using a log splitter, you will get the best from your log splitter.