Bosch has been a very popular name in American household for their great product line of power tools. Great engineering skills and solid constructions are the selling point for any Bosch tools. Currently, in the market there is two popular Bosch table saw available. One is the Bosch 4100-09 table saw and the other one is Bosch GTS1031 portable table saw. We all know DeWalt has been leading the market with its amazing table saws. But if portability is some major criteria for your table saw, with powerful performance, you can easily choose this Bosch GTS1031 table saw. If you are a professional craftsman and you need to move your table saw frequently, this is the right table saw for you. We will talk about other Pros and especially the cons in this Bosch GTs1031 review.
— Bosch GTS1031 Review —
When Bosch has come up with this table saw in 2010, this was a revolution. Before the Bosch GTS1031 table saw, portability was a real issue for the professional craftsmen. Why so? The professional power tools tend to be heavier than the compact ones, while the compact power tools usually are not powerful enough to handle professional projects with professional performance. So getting these two features, power and portability together, is the main reason behind its popularity. Thanks Bosch for addressing this problem and coming up with a perfect solution. From then on, Bosch GTS1031 has been the first choice for the professionals who want portability, of course with a powerful motor. Apart from this two, now you will find more features in this bosch GTS1031 review.
Talking about power, this is one of the high-end table saws and talking about construction, this is one of the lightest table saws. The weight is 52 lbs and you can easily carry this single handed. The powerful 15-amp motor is there and the engine has no load speed of 5000 RPM. This means you can easily handle even hardwoods. In 90 degree angle you can cut as deep as 3-1/8”, and in 45 degree the maximum cutting depths is 2- ¼”. The all-steel base has made this table saw durable and it can handle the standard banging of a workshop.
The 18-inch rip capacity assures that the table saw can handle almost all the regular size of work pieces. Materials like plywood, hardwood, lumbers can easily be handled as the engine is powerful enough with no load speed of maximum 5000 RPM. The Rip fence design is a unique feature by Bosch. This design helps to maintain the idea square alignment without any technical effort. You just need to lift the lever and then adjust the position of the fence, that’s all you need to do.
Note: We found few complaints about the RIP fence. Some of the users have mentioned that they found the rip fence quite stiff. And there we found some solutions to this problem; they said to loosen the fence. But we have a different opinion about that. If you loosen that up, the position might be moved and the alignment could go wrong. This might end up with the wrong measurement and that is worse than the stiff fence, isn’t it?
As you all know, the table saw is one of the most dangerous power tools that exist. That is why the safety is always a very important feature when it comes to a table saw. Bosch GTS1031 comes with modular safety features. What does that mean? You can easily attach them to the table saw or detach them when you need. There is a riving knife to prevent kickback. Kickback is one of the most common reasons for power saw accidents. The riving knife separates the work piece and the cut offs. The height adjustment of the knife is pretty easy and operation is smooth.
The anti-kickback pawl makes sure that the wood is moving forward, not backward. Nowadays anti-kickback pawl is found in many table saw models. This mechanism is very well designed in this GTS1031 model. It has blade guard that lock onto the riving knife. The installation of this guard is easy.
A clean workspace is always desired by any craftsman. Bosch GTS1031 comes with 2” dust collection port that can be attached to a vacuum to clean all the dust that is produced during the job. No vacuum comes with this, but you need to attach any vacuum from your workshop. The on board storage system is a plus point. The square-lock RIP fence is well designed and very helpful.
— Pros and Cons —
Apart from those technical specifications and details, here in this section, we will avoid jargons to really make things easy for you as a new buyer. This is one of the best-rated table saw, in almost all the reviews, most of the customers are happy with the performance. Yet there are some flaws, that we will be talking here in this segment. Unlike other Bosch GTS1031 review articles, we tried to scrutinize this product in our Bosch GTS1031 review to find especially the cons.
- Ease of use and portability: Portability is a serious issue when you need to move the tool around at your workshop. Bosch GTS1031 is specially designed to portability with power. With the gravity-rise stands, GTS1031 is very easy to transport. The weight is not much, 52 lbs; easy to set-up and take down is also easy and quick. You can spend time on working since you don’t need to worry much about setting up the table saw. It can deal with most of the abuses and the banging that can take place is a regular job site.
- Power and Performance: The engine is powerful enough with the no load speed of maximum 5000 RPM and a 15-amp powerful motor is there to support the engine. 18-inch rip capacity can handle almost all regular size of the project. If you have large projects, make sure you know the cutting capacity of the table saw, so that you don’t have to repent later. For most of the user, 18-inch rip capacity is good enough for their maximum numbers of projects.
- Safety standard: As I said earlier, safety is a big concern when it comes to a dangerous power tool like a table saw. Bosch GTS1031 comes with modular safety features that you can easily attach or detach according to your need. Riving knife, anti-kickback pawls, blade-guides are there to make sure that the craftsman is safe from any types of dangerous accident that may be occurred by a table saw.
- Affordable price: Price is another big concern. We always recommend considering the best value for the price. You just don’t need to spend extra money for some fancy features that you are not going to use lately. The price of GTS1031 is a plus point. With all the smart features, the solid construction and the performance, this will cost you not very much. Comparing with the other high-end table saws of its category, this will offer you great value for the money.
- Warranty: This comes with a 1-year warranty, 1-year service protection and 1-month money back guarantee. When the manufacturer stands for the quality of the product, they can offer such generous warranty. It means you are getting a quality product. For the other products of the same category, you are not likely to get such warranty and guarantee protection.
- Use of plastic may have an impact on the longevity of this table saw.
- The vibration and therefore the noise might be an issue. The noise level is around 96 dB when idle.
- A small percentage of customers have complaints about bar arbor bearing that affects the precision and causes rough cuts. If you have the same issue you can easily contact the after sale service since it is covered under the warranty.
— Final Verdict —
At the end of our review, despite having few minor drawbacks, this is one of the best table saw models in the market. The portability, power and the performance have made it one of the best in the market. If you are a professional or a hobbyist who wants a professional result with amazing performance, and portability is one of the top requirements, Bosch GTS1031 is your boy. The minor complaints that you found in this Bosch GTS1031 review, are not deal breaker; they can be easily solved by small adjustments. Overall, this is a great addition to any home garage or professional workshop.